What is the DVBViewer
The DVBViewer is a proprietary, commercial Software, which offers the reception and playback of digital television and radio reception. Additional features like video on demand, series and video management are provided via plugins.
The software is only available via internet as download to keep the selling costs low.
Several customers like Technisat, Terratec, Citycom/Technotrend, DVB-Shop, Turbosight, DVBSky bundle the OEM version of the DVBViewer  with their products.
According to the developers proposion the DVBViewer was the first application for the PC capable to handle H.264/MPEG-4 AVC-transmissions, either as live or recording.
Besides the multiple references on several htpc related websites, you also find referings inside books and magazines. Worth mentioning are the following books "Media Center: Home Theater Personal Computer, Video Disk Recorder, Windows Media Center, Xbmc Media Center, Dvbviewer, Mediaportal, Mythtv"<ref>ISBN 978-1-1591-5781-4</ref>, "Magnum Windows Vista Home Premium" <ref>ISBN 978-3-8272-4089-7,Page 462</ref>, "Heimkino easy: TV, DVD, Video und PC im Einklang"<ref>ISBN 978-3827266989,Page 146</ref>, "Nero 6 reloaded: geheime Tricks"<ref>ISBN 978-3827268532,Page 581</ref>, "Fotos, Filme, Musik mit Windows Vista"<ref>ISBN 978-3827243270,Page 445</ref>, "Heimkino für 50 plus: So wird aus TV, DVD, Video& PC höchster Genuss!"<ref>ISBN 978-3827268723,Page 146</ref>, "Windows Vista fuer Experten"<ref>ISBN 978-3827243881, Page 460</ref>
The DVBViewer supports ATSC-, DVB-S-, DVB-S2-, DVB-T-, DVB-T2- DVB-C-, File- and Network devices and comes with an integrated and skinable Media-Center-user interface. This kind of display is not useful for screen readers used by visual impaired people. To fit their needs the DVBViewer can be also controlled via regular windows interface. The Electronic Program Guide (Electronic Program Guide) can be put into multiple kind of views, from a simple list across a TV Guide-Style up to a clearly arranged timeline. Since the software is based on Directshow also the playback of AVI, MKV, DVD, HD DVD, Blu-ray and Audio-CD is possible. Additional informations via Subtitles DVB-subtitles, Closed Captions, Teletext can be presented as well as MHEG-5. The software is also able to handle 263 DVB/ATSC devices in the same time, which allows the user to record and playback of different programs simultaneous.
A comparison between HTPC Software can be found at the following Spreadsheet<ref>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0AjZAlU_5jl79dER5aE82MWkyTlRCNkxnX2tBQmlPMGc&output=html</ref>.
 The different versions of the DVBViewer
The DVBViewer is provided in 3 kind of variations, which differs in their functionality:
- DVBViewer Pro is the commercial full version with "unlimited" features. After receiving a license you get access to the members section. Alongside the DVBViewer you can also get Plug-ins, developer informations, Betaversions, Skins and additional useful Tools in this section.
- DVBViewer GE (Griga Edition) is some sort of test application provided by one of the honorary developers with the Nickname Griga. This application is used to test new functions which will be added in later versions of the Proversion. The Griga Edition is available for all DVBViewer Pro customers.
- DVBViewer OEM: Is a feature limited application for TV and Radio playback resp. recording provided by different manufactures TechniSat<ref>TechniSat.de - scope of delivery: DVBViewer TE2 Software</ref>, TerraTec<ref>TerraTec DVB devices</ref>,TechnoTrend<ref>[http://www.kathrein.de/de/presse/cont/texte2009/pi0910.htm TechnoTrend GmbH is now part of the Kathrein-Firmengruppe</ref>, Digital Everywhere<ref>FireDTV Viewer for FireDTV/FloppyDTV based on DVBViewer</ref>, DVBSky<ref>DVBSky DVBViewer OEM download</ref>,Turbosight<ref>TBSViewer Download</ref>, DVBShop<ref>DVBShop sells a special DVBViewer Version</ref>, RF Central and X3M.
 Recording Service
The consumer behavior changed in the last years from live watching television to automated recording and playback whenever and whereever possible. These needs where the reason for the recording service.
The recording service is an addition for the DVBViewer Pro, DVBViewer customers can download it for free. Addition means it belongs to the DVBViewer software family and is meant to be used only by customers of the DVBViewer Pro <ref>http://en.dvbviewer.tv/wiki/DVBViewer_Recording_Service</ref>.
The DVBViewer Recording Service is a native Windows service. It can start the machine from Hibernate/Standby for recordings and works even if no user is logged on to Windows.
It executes programmed recordings with a very low system load in the background without DVBViewer running. The service provides a web interface which allows the user to schedule recordings and manage tasks (like scan for new epg data, update recording database..). Livestreams and Recordings can be sent through the network either via DLNA/UPNP or for recompressed for Tablets and Telephones (iOS, Android)
TransEdit  is a scanner and analyzer for DVB-S (2), DVB-T (2), Bluray, [[ATSC] and DVB-C, which was first developed as application to offer a much more detailed channel scan for the DVBViewer Pro/GE. TransEdit supports DVB/ATSC devices as well as Bluray and recordings. Besides a more complex channel scan it also offers the following features:
- Transponderlist-Editor – allows managing, editing and updating of transponder lists
- Analyzer – is evaluating and analyzing mpeg transmissions down to the service descriptor level in real time. It is also possible to preview, monitor and record all available tv, radio, teletext, subtitles packages.
 See also
 Open Source
- Windows Media Center
- Sceneo TVcentral, abandoned<ref>Forumsthema vom Sceneo Team: Eine unbequeme Wahrheit: TVcentral Entwicklung eingestellt</ref>
- WatchTV Pro Ex
- WatchTVPro Phoenix Edition
- Arcsoft TotalMedia
- BlazeVideo HDTV Player
- Beyond TV
- Sage TV
- WinTV from Hauppauge
- Moovida, formerly known as Elisa Media Center<ref>Information about the name change at Moovida.com</ref>